Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Why Didn’t I Learn This Sooner? --- Chief Instructor's Blog September 2026

 

Mastering a martial art is a lifelong practice.  And there is always something to learn or discover.  Sometimes they are profound ah-ha’s and sometimes they are things that appear simple.

If you learn something new in a class and it appears simple or straightforward, you may ask yourself why did I not know that already or why am I now just learning this? 

There are many reasons I can think of why this may be the case. 

1.     Maybe you were not told before now because it was not that critical for you to know it previously.

2.     Maybe you were not told before now because the information was not appropriate until you reached a certain rank.  Some things are adjusted as you progress in the art form so some of the details can change.  And there are some variations to the standard techniques we teach as progress in the art form as well.

3.     Maybe you were not in the classes when that topic / detail was discussed.  I try my best to repeat things over several classes but I cannot guarantee everything I have conveyed in class over the years and ensure every student at one time had a chance to hear it.  There are dozens and dozens of details for each technique.  All the physical details of the stance and the technique itself, the muscles that are engaged, the specific motion, the eye position and head position, how it should feel, what it can be used for, the best targets, the benefits, the drawbacks just to name a few.  To gain understanding of all the details for every technique takes time to learn and them really understand.  This does not happen all at once and is not explained all at once.

4.     Maybe you were not ready to hear the information yet.  Maybe you were told something but you were not at a place with all the other information you were processing to put this information as a priority to understand so you did not even remember hearing it.

·       The learning process is such that it can take potentially seven (7) times to hear something before it sinks in or is truly understood.  I, personally, have also heard from others that they have been told things by their instructor(s) but it did not really register until later in time.  

5.     It is new insights for the Chief Instructor.  As I continue to discover things about the art form, applications etc., most of the time I share it with Club Members shortly after I gain insights and as appropriate for a student’s rank.  So, it may be that you are learning it for the first time after I gained some insight or clarity and pass it along.

6.     And you should not expect to be explicitly told every detail.  Let me state that again - you should not expect to be explicitly told every detail.  Especially, the higher in rank you become, the more it is expected you do more self-discovery and / or explicitly request information because it will not necessarily be just explicitly told.  Self-discovery is a necessary aspect of mastering an art form.  Recommend you review or re-review the August 2024 Knowledge and Experience of the Art Form blog and the February 2026 Do You Know What You Should Be Working On? blog. 

So, if you are “learning something for the first time” that you may think you should have known already, instead of asking yourself, “why did I not know that already?”, be curious and ask yourself, “why is now the right time for me to know this information”.  Or be excited to try something new and ask yourself, “how can I put it to use?”.

 

Regards,

Kelly

 

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know." ~ Albert Einstein (1879 –1955), a German-born theoretical physicist best known for developing the theory of relativity

 


No comments: